[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SnarkCafe Community • View topic - Non-Source Spraypaints.

Non-Source Spraypaints.

Helpful how-to's and tutorials.

Non-Source Spraypaints.

Postby Metal » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:54 am

Step 1:

(Preferably a .Png or .Bmp file, as .Jpg files are disgusting)
(As last resort use Microsoft Paint)

Before you even consider making your spray paint dream a reality consider the following.
-Will I get banned from the server I use it on for this?
-Is this offensive?
-Is this inappropriate for the average aged person at said server?
-Is this image illegal in my country?
-Will the image's source care that I used their image in this game?
-If/When Metal sees it, will he murder me, or be disgusted?

Should you have answered yes to any of these with a yes, you're going to need a new image.

Now most people in Half-Life 1's community that want a spray paint, and don't realize actually what little room the game's graphics are, in fact the largest game graphic I saw was 96 by 96 pixels*.
*Excluding model textures, and I refuse to acknowledge the existence of any 144 by 80 spraypaint
Pick a green box, use that size,

Pick a size on this chart that is relevant to your image's shape. So if you have a longer image, pick say 64 by 128 or have a square image 64 by 64 or 96 by 96.
if your image is smaller center it in a BLUE COLORED BOX of that nearest size.
The engine before source can only read a texture file that's pixels are evenly dividable by 16 and under a certain amount, I saved you a lot of trouble with this step.

Step 2:
If your picture ALREADY conforms to one of the green boxes in the above chart and matches one of those sizes EXACTLY you can skip to part 3.
Alright now open your photo editing program (We're going to use CS3 in the tutorial)
I'm sure the picture you picked is massive like mine are, you want it to look as nice as possible but when you resize it it looks like $h!t.

I'm going to use THIS as an example.

First off in this picture like most pictures we have parts we can crop without hurting the image itself.
(I've already cropped this one, but there is usually something you don't need in the picture, such as extra people or scenery that isn't the subject.)
In another picture where you have more subjects such as:

You can't have the full thing usually, what a shame; Focus in on what you want the most .
Another quick rule to use when selecting your image is that text, will not work; when you resize it your text will be IMPOSSIBLE to read unless it's absurdly large to begin with (Size 64+ font).
After you've opened and cropped your image you can resize it...

Don't touch the manual resize, you disgust me if you even considered it.

We're going to let the machine resize our picture in Photoshop CS3 you have a Bicubic sharper setting when you're reducing the size of your pictures, I strongly recommend doing it.
Resize the picture in equal proportion proportion (I even included a picture of how to do it in paint)

PAINT USERS: Sucks to be you.
Press your Ctrl and W keys simultaneously or manually go to image sketch/skew (Manually as in go through the menus to open it up. don't touch the picture with the mouse, I'll stab you, I'll do it; I'm crazy.)

Do it in equal amounts of percent, we wouldn't want to have a stretched picture.
Continue resizing your picture until it meets the requirements (this tutorial uses 64 by 128).
Lets say I chose the size in photoshop to resize til its 64 high and under 128 in length.
Although this is small enough, its not going to work because of the size chart, copy paste your image onto a pure blue bar in Microsoft paint size 128 by 64 to get this fixed.

Sexy, although YOU can see those blue bars, the game cannot (unless you saved in .jpg moron).

Step 3: Finishing the job

Open up wally, I've heard day in and day out that Wally is extremely complicated and nobody knows how to use it, I'm going to make everyone who complained look like a moron.

Slick file, save-as save it once as pldecal.wad and again as tempdecal.wad
place both files in your mod's main folder (likely Half-life/Svencoop/)
And you are done, it helps to set them as read-only incase it gets overwritten.

Troubleshooting:

Problem: I see a Smallorange lambada instead of my spray paint.
Fix: The game is still rendering your spray paint, try it again in a minute or two.

Problem: I see a Largeorange lambada instead of my spray paint.
Fix: You need to save it again then, somewhere you went wrong. Remember you're saving the .wad files to your main Sven coop (or other mod)'s directory.

Problem: Wally is too difficult for me to use.
Fix: Repeatedly smash your head into the keyboard and or desk.
Legal notice: Not liable for reader death or injury.

Problem: My spray paint looks bad (Version 1)
Fix: It takes practice.

Problem: My spray paint looks bad (Version 2)
Fix: You manually resized it, disconnect your mouse and try again.

Time taken to make this spray paint and tutorial?
The spray: Two minutes, Guide on how to make a spray: Eight minutes.
Legal Notice: I am not liable for threat, murder, or death to or of the user.
IMPORTANT: earlier when I said blue, I meant pure blue, As of windows VISTA and (Unknown about Macintosh computers) but the blue featured there is NOT pure blue (#0000FF) (0 red 0 yellow/green 255 blue)
Last edited by Metal on Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:25 am, edited 10 times in total.
No, office supplies just do what they're told. They sit there quietly, holding papers together, faxing documents or counting figures. They almost never scream at you and demand answers you don't have. They always follow orders, and they never talk back. They don't pretend to be nice and full of integrity while whoring themselves out to every jerk that comes along and woos them with their good looks. Office supplies are friends.

Metal
New to Caffeine
New to Caffeine

Do it yourself now.

Postby Metal » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:56 am

You think THAT'S hard? THAT'S JUST THE TUTORIAL LEVEL!
No, office supplies just do what they're told. They sit there quietly, holding papers together, faxing documents or counting figures. They almost never scream at you and demand answers you don't have. They always follow orders, and they never talk back. They don't pretend to be nice and full of integrity while whoring themselves out to every jerk that comes along and woos them with their good looks. Office supplies are friends.

Metal
New to Caffeine
New to Caffeine

Re: Non-Source Spraypaints.

Postby Uro Uro Blue » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:45 am

IF THAT'S TOO HARD FOR BEGINNERS, (though ultimately wally is always a better choice for quality sprays.)

btw, this is easier then it looks in text. D= Its essentially, open-autosize-makewad-renamewad-movetofolder.

http://files.filefront.com/HL+Logo+Crea ... einfo.html

Download this file, it's Half Life Logo Creator.

Run Setup- Now run program (Start > Programs > Half Life Logo Creator

1) Click Open and select any supported image to you want to make into a spray.

2) Click Autosize. If the picture looks bad (not the proportion mind you, the actual picture quality) it DEFINATELY won't look good for a Spray.

Optional 3) You see the #s next to Image Width and Image Height? Edit that to change the proportion of the picture if it is too wide or too tall. Make sure however that the "Total Pixels" bar is green and not red when you ultimately make your spray. The absolute best quality picture has width and height set at 64x128 or 128x64 respectively.

4) Click "Save it to" and put it any place you can find it again. Click "Make WAD" It should now be saved as a pldecal.wad

5) Find "pldecal" it and rename it "tempdecal". To keep this spray from ever being overwritten by Valve's default sprays when you edit your options, make the tempdecal file a "read-only" file. This is done by right-clicking, clicking properties, and then checking the box marked "Read-Only".

6)Move it into your "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\YOURUSERNAMEOREMAIL\HalfLife\Svencoop" directory or any other mod in your Half Life Folder. For Counter-Strike its Counterstrike/cstrike. Same setup for Team Fortress Classic.

7) Launch Game, Spray it. It may not show the first time you spray it. But it SHOULD the second time. If not, you did it wrong. =(

----

There are many other little features and issues in Half Life Logo Creator you can try taking advantage of or avoiding.

All of these features I never found much use for, except for transparency. This feature is however glitchy, and in a picture that hasn't already been tailored in another program, will often leave a blue outline around your spray's borders. Wally is the absolute best in getting a solid and clean transparent spray.

Also, once you find the best dimensions for your picture in Half Life Logo Creator, I like to reload the image, then enter in the dimensions and resize it then, so the picture doesn't look as stretched or squished as if you resized it many times without reloading the image. Half Life Logo Creator progressively builds on an image, without reloading it, thereby keeping any stretch marks from resizing many times shown in the picture.

Wally is always the better choice to make sprays once you feel comfortable taking that step.

Also if your desperate for a spray, you could just ask someone on the forums. I've already made quite a few sprays for certain people. =D/D=

Uro Uro Blue
Moderate Caffeine Abuser
Moderate Caffeine Abuser

Postby Metal » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:57 am

Yeah, but that's just disgusting.

Metal
New to Caffeine
New to Caffeine

Postby Metal » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:04 am

Wally can do animated ones too, but I'm not going to get into that as it's too ridiculous and hard.
Don't message/email me over it either.

Metal
New to Caffeine
New to Caffeine

Postby TuRk » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:37 am

You just raped my head with all of this, especially after the tutorial level. I feel like I'm playing ninja Gaiden D:.

Good work, maybe this will stop the floodz of, "MAKE ME A SPRAY!!!" to lone, and friends? Idk. But good work none the less.
TuRk
($$) Donor
($$) Donor

Postby Blah » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:33 pm

Now THIS is useful.

THANK YOU FOR THIS!
Blah
SnarkCafe Game Captian
SnarkCafe Game Captian

Location: The forums are back and suddenly i'm a Captain again. That's neat.

Return to How-To's